Skip to main content

Guinea Fowl are Reproducing

The 20 Guinea Fowl eggs that I ordered on the internet 2 years ago, hatched four healthy keets under a broody hen.  This year the four adults are breeding well and are giving me 2 fertilized eggs daily.  There was a power play by the males, and now one male gets both hens and the other male is lonely.  Those guys fight rough!  I thought the loser was going to die for sure.


Above are my two year old adults and genetic starting point for my new flock.


The guineas boss around the chickens, but the rooster still gets his fair share of food.


So far, I have 8 new keets and hopefully more coming before summer ends.  I keep them in their own cage to be sure they do not stray into the jungle and get eaten or lost.


Above the keet pen is seen within the larger adult fowl pen.


The parents patrol the area, keeping  threats far away.  Apparently they can take on snakes, rats, cats and dogs.



I had a fun surprise in the genetics with several white keets mixed in.  Soon I hope to have about 100 adults free ranging in the second part of the day and winter times.


Comments